It’s that time of year again when we reflect on the past and look toward the future. New Year’s resolutions help us set goals and be inspired to reach them. The only catch is that usually to see results, resolutions need to last beyond the confetti popping. As life goes on it can be easy to fall back into old habits and put those New Year’s goals on the back burner. So how do you make sure your resolutions stick throughout the year? Here are 5 helpful tricks to help you stay committed and achieve success with your New Year’s resolutions.
- First, recognize that change doesn’t happen overnight. Setting realistic goals and breaking them down into smaller, achievable steps will help you make progress step-by-step instead of trying to do too much at once. This will also help to avoid burnout, and the inevitable frustration of taking on too much and not seeing immediate results.
- Second, be accountable to someone. If you have a friend or family member who is on board with your resolution, let them help hold you accountable and offer encouragement when needed. Having someone to talk to about progress and setbacks can help keep your motivation up and help you stick with it throughout the year.
- Third, plan ahead. Reserve time each week or month to work on your resolution. This could be a dedicated hour in the morning, a few days during the weekend, or whatever works with your schedule. Having regular times set aside will help keep your resolution top of mind and make it part of your routine.
- Fourth, reward yourself for successes large and small. Celebrate the small victories that help you reach your goal, and don’t be too hard on yourself for not reaching every milestone. Acknowledge your successes as they come, and appreciate the work you put in to achieve them.
- Fifth, make sure to reevaluate throughout the year. Set aside some time each quarter or month to review how things are going and reassess if necessary. Refocusing your goals can help keep you motivated and help to adjust as needed.
Following these tips can help you stick to your New Year’s resolutions and reach success throughout the year. With a little dedication and planning, those dreams of a better year will become reality. Good luck in achieving all your goals!
If joint discomfort is keeping you from reaching your New Year’s goals or living your life to the fullest, Dr. Strasburger may be able to help! Contact us today to set up a consultation.