Introducing Common Sports Injuries
Common sports injuries can cause damage to the joint structure, including tendons, cartilage, and soft tissues. Injuries caused by competitive sports play or other athletic activities are best treated by an orthopaedist with sports medicine training.
Different types of sports injuries
There are two main types of sports injuries:
- Acute, typically caused by an impact, hyperextension, or a sudden twist or strain
- Overuse, typically caused by repetitive motion that causes wear and tear on a joint
A sports injury can consist of a dislocation, torn cartilage, muscles, or tendons, or separation of one joint component from the other. The shoulder, elbow, and knee are the most commonly affected joints, sustaining injuries known colloquially as “tennis elbow” or “runners knee”. Each kind of injury requires a different treatment modality.
Treating sports injuries
Sports injuries range in severity and need for treatment. Minor injuries can be treated with rest, icing, compression, and elevation (R.I.C.E.). More severe injuries may require minimally invasive treatments to relieve pain and speed healing. Chronic pain for overuse injuries may require arthroscopic surgery to repair, while extreme damage may require joint replacement.
Sports medicine benefits
- A doctor who has focused specifically on sports injuries, including traditional and holistic treatment and rehabilitation options
- Leading edge treatments designed to restore flexibility and range of motion with the least invasive methods available
- Advanced surgical options including minimally invasive arthroscopy and robotics assisted joint replacement
What to expect from sports injury treatment
Dr. Strasburger carefully assesses your injury and recommends a treatment plan that is designed to restore functionality and relieve pain starting with the most ocnservative options possible. In many cases, your sports injury can be resolved and you can return to your former level of activity without the need for surgery. If surgical intervention is required, Dr. Strasburger is prepared to bring the latest technology and his considerable skill to bear on your case.
Are You Interested in Learning More?